kitchen in orange and blue

I’ve been sewing things for the new place since I moved this summer, but have been pretty slow in posting them. Here’s what I’ve made for the kitchen so far.

I started with these curtains.

orangecurtains03A

It took the boyfriend and I a bit of debating to settle on a fabric, but in the end we went with this standard orange gingham. The gingham was pretty sheer, so I added some textured white fabric from a yard sale to the back to block more light and visibility.

orangecurtains05A

The white fabric used to be a curtain, but it was poorly constructed with iron-on hem tape so I cut off those pieces and sewed the edges instead.

orangecurtains01A

two layers means more fun to burrow in!

My orange fabric turned out to be wider than the white, so I just gathered it at the top.

orangecurtains02AAnd there you have it, curtains!

orangecurtains04A

ignore all the crap around the sink 🙂

I wanted to use some fun fabric to make potholders and oven mitts for the kitchen, but it took me forever to decide. I started with this vintage fabric from Kathy’s mom’s stash since it matched the orange of the curtains.

potholders01A

This potholder can be used as an oven mitt too. Pattern from Prudent Baby.

potholders02A

I made another one using the same pattern from a navy and turquoise zig-zag remnant. I quilted with white thread in the white sections of the zig-zag pattern and really like how it turned out.

potholders03A

For my oven mitt, I used a Gingercake pattern. I’ve made an oven mitt before using a pattern that came with one of my big 4 apron patterns and it was a trial. This pattern was far easier. I used Hobby Lobby fabric for the outside and thrifted sheet for the inside.

potholders04A

I didn’t realize this until I’d already made it, but I used the same fabric on the exterior of the oven mitt as I used to make my special occasion apronI don’t know how that didn’t click until I was done, but it’s a happy coincidence. (I have an apron from World Market I use for a lot of my cooking because I don’t want to mess up the nice one I made.)

potholders05A

Here’s the completed set. I’m pretty happy with everything overall, though I forgot to sew the bias tape together for the tab on the left pot holder, and the inside layers of my oven mitt are a little baggy.

Some advice on sewing items intended to be heatproof, I used more layers of batting and Insul-Bright than were recommended and am glad I did! The orange mitt has less layers than the other two and my hand starts to get hot pretty quickly!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s