romper from an upcycled pillowcase for Emma

I knew when I bought this strawberry printed pillowcase that I wanted to make it into a romper for Emma. I didn’t realize that it would take me almost a year to find a pattern that looked like what I wanted to make.

thriftedpillowcasesA

these pillowcases are now an apron, a romper, an a-line dress, and another apron. (left to right)

When Elegance and Elephants came out with their Pleated Playsuit pattern, I knew I had not been waiting in vain.

I cut out the pieces in May and finished all the sewing a week or two ago. If I sat down and worked on it continuously, I’m sure it would have gone along fairly easily but a lot happened between May and August.

My pillowcase wasn’t as vibrant as I remembered it. It is a bit worn, but I still like the cute strawberry print. I used red broadcloth for the lining since the pillowcase was a bit sheer with wear.

strawberryromper01A

I briefly considered making the whole thing reversible, but I couldn’t wrap my brain around it and preferred to get the project done and finally send Emma everything I’ve been making for her this summer (shorts, apron, hat, romper, doll quilt – yet to be blogged, and some found GAP jean jackets).

This was my first time buying broadcloth that wasn’t at Hobby Lobby. I bought whatever was on the shelf and cheap at Hancock Fabrics and I got a surprise when I put the iron to it.

strawberryromper07A

I have never had that happen with Hobby Lobby broadcloth and I’ve worked with it a LOT. But the stuff I bought at Hancock Fabrics straight up melted. (Both fabrics are a poly-cotton blend.) I was more careful while working with the rest of the fabric and didn’t have another incident but I won’t buy this kind of broadcloth again.

The pieces had sat in a pile for a while after I cut them so it was fun to see the playsuit start to take shape.

strawberryromper02A

I didn’t need to make a lot of adjustments to add the lining; I cut one strawberry and one red for all of the bodice and pants pieces, including the back pocket linings and even the leg cuffs. The only pieces I didn’t cut one red and one white of were the front pocket linings and the straps. Then I just sewed the pillowcase and red pieces at the same time like they were one piece and it all worked out.

I pinked the inside seams that weren’t finished, which were all the seams on the bottom and the joining seam.

strawberryromper06A

And it turned out to be a decent little romper!

strawberryromper05A

I like the pattern enough to make it again in a different fabric, especially after seeing the people who have linked up their awesome versions with the pattern. I don’t know if I will actually be making another version anytime soon, but the pattern is definitely a keeper. Oh, and did I mention it’s free??

There are great details included, like the pocket lining peeking out…

strawberryromper03A

and the pleat in the front bodice.

strawberryromper04A

I also like the little tie spaghetti straps.

Emma should be getting her package in the next few days and I hope she and her parents like it as much as I do! I’ll do a write-up on the doll quilt soon, and there might be another tote in the near future. 😉

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “romper from an upcycled pillowcase for Emma

  1. handmadebymrsh says:

    That pillowcase reminds me of the Heather Ross Briar rose collection, its got that sort of feel to it! I love it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s