First off, some blogging business to attend to: thank you’s!
Thank you to my giveaway contestants! It was my first one and four of you participated and I wasn’t sure there would be anyone. 🙂
Thanks to everyone who stopped by to comment on my jumpsuit transformation. It might be my most commented on post and it cracked me up how every comment mentioned how gross the jumpsuit looked initially.
And thank you to the link parties that have featured me lately! At one point in my blogging history I would regularly post my stuff at link parties that had a couple hundred links, but it got old and didn’t result in many people stopping by. I’ve stuck with smaller link parties lately and have found it to be very rewarding. If you are looking for some new places to link up, try Feather’s Flights (I just checked today and I’ve been featured two weeks in a row!!) and The Life of Jennifer Dawn. I also really like the link party at Recycled Fashion.
So on to today’s main event. I finished two vintage sheet projects shortly before I moved at the end of last summer and they never made it onto the blog. You’ll understand why I wasn’t in a big rush to post them once you see the photos.
Up first is a dress from a vintage pattern. I found it at a thrift store and thought it could be a cute sundress.
The sheet I used for fabric is more 50s than 70s to me, but mismatching eras was the least of my problems.
I’m not one to abandon a project halfway through; I would rather finish it and then donate it than have a unfinished project laying around indefinitely. That being said, I definitely wanted to toss this dress in a corner and leave it forever.
This top is very unflattering, and the sleeves and collar are weird. Putting in the elastic for the waist was a nightmare.
I added a lining before I realized it was unwearable and that complicated everything.
The collar facings were a disaster. They wouldn’t lay flat for anything.
All that being said, this dress was a good learning tool. I am proud of the finishing techniques on the collar (minus the facings), the placket, and the sleeves.
It has a good weight to it with the lining, but it does look like this on….
I hope someone shopping at Goodwill thinks it’s a good costume for something.
The next project is a simple square top using the tutorial at C+C. I want to see if this style could work for me without making me look like a big rectangle so I used a vintage sheet to test it.
Of course it got more complicated because:
– I cut it too short and had to add a piece of contrast.
– There was a spot on the sheet I’d cut for the back, so I had to seam two pieces together.
– I added a faux button loop at the center back and made my own bias tape for the neckline.
I was pleased with the shirt when I finished it last summer, but had never worn it. When I put it on a few weeks ago, it just kind of felt like I was wearing a sheet. I think the pattern being spread out on the fabric contributes strongly to the sheet feeling. And on top of all that, the sheet was worn rather thin in the section I used for the front.
I think a knit fabric with elastic or a band at the bottom would have a better shape and be more flattering.
So there are two vintage sheet projects that came out with successful elements (I’d like to think) but did not lead to a successful wearable final product. I did spend a good deal of time and effort making them, so I wanted them to get at least a little blog space before they move on to the donation bin.