I haven’t been reading blogs regularly for about a month now, but I’ve been trying to catch up on the back log in my feedly reader in the last couple weeks. One of the more recent posts that caught my eye was the quilted mat sew along at Sew Delicious.
I started following Ros after participating in her Sweet Pouch Swap earlier this year (if you missed it, check out what I made and received). It was really a great swap and many good things have come from it. One result was I fell hard for this Alegria Blue Birds fabric upon seeing it made into a pouch by this pouch swap participant. I found the fabric in a free (!) charm pack at Honey Be Good when they were having a sale. (And they’re currently having one year birthday specials.)
At first I want to use fabric to make a sewing machine cover using charm squares, then decided to take a different path. (I bought the fabric for the cover, but haven’t made it yet or even finalized the design.) When I saw the quilted mat tutorial, I knew I’d found my charm square project.
I like how the blue stands out in this line. I did swap out Blooms in Blue for Blooms in Pink so it wouldn’t be too blue.
I sewed all my pieces together, added my batting and quilted it. It looked great. But I’ve been sewing so much lately and keeping odd hours. It’s led to some cutting mistakes and a few things like this:
There is my beautiful quilted mat, and to the right is my backing fabric…that I forgot to put on before I quilted the whole thing.
Instead of removing the quilting stitches and starting over with the back attached, I decided to add more stitching on either side of the first rows after putting the backing on so it would be quilted too.
I love my backing fabric as much as the Alegria fabric. It’s Wildfield in Gypsy from Valori Wells’ Wrenly line. I had to have it when I bought it at my local fabric store back in Alabama probably a year+ ago, but it’s been languishing in my stash. This was a perfect opportunity to get at least a small piece into use.
I bound the whole thing with a leftover piece of single fold bias tape ironed in half. Despite the narrow edge, I managed the small miracle of catching both the front and back all the way around when I was topstitching.
I love this piece so much. I finished it yesterday and couldn’t wait to get it up on the blog and show everyone. I think it’s one of the most beautiful things I’ve made and it’s already brightening up my sewing corner.
I may have missed the sew along, but I’m glad I found the idea and a good use for some favorite fabrics.