My latest sewing project has been for Craft Hope. Project 20 is making bibs for orphans in China (more info on their Facebook page). I decided this would be a great opportunity to try out some of the bib tutorials I’ve been adding to my Pinterest board for babies and kids. It’s also been great for using fabric and notions from my stash.
I came up with a list of several bib tutorials and sewed six bibs for the project.
#1 – a whale of a bib
fabric: leftover from boyfriend’s mom’s apron, thrifted flannel
modifications: used flannel instead of terry for the backing, used felt instead of fabric and fusible web for the applique
This is my favorite bib so far. I just love that cute little whale! I used a wider stitch to sew on the whale because the standard blanket stitch didn’t look right. I put the eye on using this french knot tutorial. (It was so much simpler than I thought!)
#2 – baby apron a.k.a. the bapron
modifications: none! made as instructed.
This seems like a great idea, but I don’t have kids currently so it’s a bit hard to tell how well it would work out a baby. It looks so cute on the “model” though! It was easy to put together and I’d definitely make it again.
#3 – simple polka dot bib
fabric: leftover polka dots from baby car seat blanket, thrifted flannel, brown remnant
modifications: used flannel instead of batting for the middle section
I tried something different on this bib and quilted around the circles with the top and middle sections basted together. It didn’t turn out as nicely as I liked because it’s hard to sew tiny precise circles on a machine. Here’s the back view before I put the bib together.
So it was a cool idea that lacked a bit in the execution, but will still function to protect babies’ clothes from food :)
I really liked the simplicity and shape of this bib pattern and can see myself making it again. The button was a cute touch too.
I made an exact copy of this bib for a friend whose sister was having a baby, minus the quilting. I used velcro instead of a button for the closure and the whole thing turned out well.
#4 – tie bib
fabric: an outgrown shirt of my brother’s from my mom’s mending pile, leftover navy for the background, navy felt for the tie
modifications: I created this by making the bib as suggested and adding the felt tie applique on the front. I used velcro instead of a button once again.
It turned out pretty well, but when I make it again it’ll make the bib a little longer or the tie a bit shorter.
#5 – button down bib
tutorial: button down bib pattern and tutorial
fabric: an outgrown shirt of my brother’s from my mom’s mending pile, leftover navy for the background, leftover white bias tape
modifications: I had to eliminate the pocket and button placket idea and just cut out a regular section of the shirt. No buttons are allowed on the front of the bib for the project, and my pocket had a stain.
I would have liked to follow this tutorial more exactly as far as pattern placement, but the shirt had a few tiny stains on the pocket. It would have looked really cool as illustrated, but it turned out okay this way. I think I’d add a layer of flannel in the middle next time to give it more weight.
#6 – bandana bib
fabric: leftover navy again, leftover fabric from my new apron
modifications: I tacked down the whole folded edge of the bib to secure it all the way across.
This is my second favorite of the bibs I made. (Maybe one day I’ll make an whale bandana bib. Hmm…) I loved these fabrics together and this bib is definitely a functional fashion statement! I liked the simplicity of the large snap closure.
Just be careful if you’re a perfectionist using a grid-like pattern. Trying to make my fabric line up diagonally and horizontally drove me a little crazy.
And those are the bibs I’ll be sending off to Craft Hope shortly!
I had fun picking out fabrics from my stash and putting these bibs together. Plus when friends have babies, I know I’ll be able to whip out some cute bibs.
That’s one charity sewing project done for 2013 so far. I’d like to get to work on some more soon.