These dresses have been awhile in the making. I found this post about Magaret Andrade’s project with Little Dresses for Africa on Craftiness is not Optional and decided to make a couple of dresses to send. (For more information about her project, you can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Many of the dresses they receive are pillowcase-sized so if you are looking to make a needed size, I’d suggest a baby dress or a dress for a teen. I lined my dress by making it two layers because the pattern was on a white background and I didn’t want it to be see through.
I cut these two dresses out weeks ago, but hit a wall when I realized I was out of double fold bias tape. They went back on the shelf for a while I was working on some other projects. The fabric is the same fabric I used in my apron project, a thrifted bedsheet. In the meantime, I found a rummage sale skirt I decided to dismantle. The skirt, which will hopefully be appearing as something else on here soon, had a lot going on, including this trim.
I decided to remove the trim from the skirt and use it on the dress instead. The other dress looked too plain compared to the trimmed dress so I sewed a strip of white fabric into a tube, turned it, and pressed it and then attached the fabric tube to the bottom to add a little polish. I used double fold bias tape on the armholes and used a thin tube of fabric folded in half and topstitched for the ties.
Edit: I rediscovered the link to the tutorial I followed when I was flipping through bookmarks on my Kindle. I used the baby pillowcase dress tutorial on Prudent Baby in the 0-3 months size.
I’m envisioning these dresses going to sisters, or little best friends. They’ll go out in the mail this week, along with another present for a special little girl (my next post!).