I don’t have nor know anyone who has small babies currently, so I’m not sure why I had pinned this pattern for a peasant-style baby dress from Sew Much Ado. But when I was looking for items to make for the Love Without Boundaries auction, mentioned here, this dress pattern popped into my head. (I also decided to donate my bias tape bag to the auction.) I used fabric from some of the thrifted sheets I’ve been accumulating to make these two dresses.
I saw this sheet at the thrift store last weekend and knew it had to be made into one of these darling baby dresses. I had white rick rack already from making aprons. (This sheet will reappear in a later post.)
This dress was from another sheet that I used to make a couple of aprons. I wish I had some border left to use on the bottom of this dress since it was a nice contrasting reverse red on cream design.
For me, the hardest part of making these dresses was sewing the elastic together since the armholes are so tiny (the size is 0-3 months or 8-12 lbs.) and I was working with 1/4″ elastic. I sewed straight across the two pieces to hold them together before I did the zig-zag stitch. If you aren’t using rickrack for your hem, make sure you realize that your dress will be a little shorter and you may want to cut it longer. I didn’t read all the way through the tutorial before I started and found that out in the middle.
Overall, the dress was very simple to make and came together more quickly than anticipated. I hadn’t used rick rack for an edge before and was pleased with how that looks. I will most likely be using it for other items in the future.
My goal for next week is to make matching diaper covers for each of these dresses, before the auction deadline of April 1, using this tutorial from Dana Made It. The cream dress with red print will be standard, but for the polka dot oval pattern I’m going to try the bias tape version since I have leftover white bias tape.