bias tape purse

Over the weekend, I started and finished a project I’d been wanting to make. I’d found the beginner’s bias tape bag on Prudent Baby in a purse tutorial round-up awhile back and pinned it to make later.

*sidenote: I also found a tutorial for cute sleep shorts at Prudent Baby. I’ve made a couple pairs and will put them on the blog soon.

I bought a pale yellow sheet and an interesting lightweight denim skirt to use for fabric at the thrift store recently. I thought that the color combo would work well with this bag. I bought a pack of white bias tape, but found a piece leftover from another project that happened to be just the right length so the pack remains unopened. At some point I’ll start making my own bias tape, but I would like to have a rotary cutter, ruler and mat before I attempt it.

This bag was so simple to make! I cut the pieces out on Friday, sewed most of it Saturday, and did the last couple bits on Sunday. (note: I did do other things this weekend. It doesn’t take three whole days to make!)

I cut the pieces from the sheet for the lining and noticed they were a bit see through. I made one purse recently with a rather thin lining that I liked well enough (to be blogged later). Though that bag wasn’t as reversible as I would have liked, I didn’t want to cut out new lining pieces for this bag since I’d put everything up already. I was prepared to soldier on, but then I saw a tiny stain, as there usually is somewhere on thrift store sheets, on one of the pieces I’d already cut out. At this point I decided to go ahead and change plans. To counteract the thinness of the sheet and the stain, I just cut two more lining pieces and used them together as if they were one piece of fabric. This worked out just fine, and allowed me to hide the stain by sticking that piece in between layers. The denim was thicker so it was comparable to two pieces of the sheet together and made for a sturdier bag. The denim had a weird bias stretch so I thought I’d cut the pieces wrong when I laid them down to check size, but I just had to stretch them out the right way before I started sewing.

Pinning the pleats was the most complicated thing for me, but I pinned them wrong the first time. After I got that right, it went together quickly. I would recommend clipping your curves when you put the lining and the outside together.

If I were to make this again, I would probably make the larger version by printing the pieces at 200%. This bag was a little wide and shallow for my taste, but I’m still happy with how it turned out overall. I’m really glad I double-layered the lining; both sides are usable and the bag feels solid.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s